Monday, September 12, 2016

Universe Bowl IX: Prequel

As the playoff planet itself has proven, nothing is ever completely over. Every ending, no matter how finite, can still lead to a new beginning. That doesn’t mean that things do not come to an end though, it just means that nobody should ever say never, well, at least they should know that never doesn’t exactly mean the end.

As the Living Tribunal and Kid Q both look down upon the new playoff planet, knowing full well that their own endings are upon them, they contemplate that very question.

Living Tribunal: Well kid, this is it. Our final fight.

Kid Q: Maybe it is for you LT but I don’t plan on this being the final chapter in my book. We are both god’s anyways, is there really an end for us?

LT: First off, we are not gods. We may have omnipotent qualities to us but we are far from being gods.

Kid Q: Speak for yourself but I can alter reality and create reality to my making, which sounds god-like to me.

LT: That’s exactly what I was saying, we are god-like but we are most definitely not gods.

Kid Q: Semantics. If either of us wanted this match to be null in void we could make it so and you know full well we could.

LT: Could we?

Kid Q: You know it.

LT: Then why don’t we? Why doesn’t one of us just end this battle before it starts and declare our teams the champions of this league.

Kid Q: (Stumbling over his words but never quite making out anything audible)

LT: You don’t know, right?

Kid Q: And I suppose you have the answer?

LT: No I don’t have the answer, none of us “God-Like” beings do and don’t you think a true god or creator would know the answer to a question like that?

Kid Q: Let’s just do it then, let’s both end this thing right now.

LT: (Laughs) Okay kid, let’s do it then.

Kid Q: Fine, I will. I’m bringing this one home for the good guys.

LT: Okay, I’m waiting.

Several minutes go by and nothing happens.

LT: Doesn’t feel like a victory has been had by either of us yet.

Kid Q: Well, that doesn’t mean that we can’t make it happen. Maybe if you were not here I would be able to easily do it but since you are here and have a similar power structure as I, we are unable to finish the job off.

LT: Or maybe since neither of us are gods, it is not even a remote possibility of this event taking place.

Kid Q: I don’t except that. We both know that if we wanted to do anything we could imagine, we could make it happen.

LT: Who is to say that we can imagine what we are both describing here? Maybe in our limited minds we are incapable of imaging such an outcome to this fight.

Kid Q: Are you saying that neither of us is able to imagine something that the both of us have been discussing for the previous fifteen minutes?

LT: No, what I am saying is that even though both of us believe we understand what we are discussing, that perhaps we our both woefully ignorant to the concept, despite the fact that we both believe we comprehend the idea behind the outcome.

Kid Q: Why say ten words when seventy five sounds so much smarter! (He says in a mocking tone)

LT: By god, I believe that is the universal sign for surrender. Would a god resort to mocking his opponent?

Kid Q: Evidently I would.

LT: (Laughs) Very well then.

Kid Q: What?

LT: Oh nothing, just funny.

Kid Q: What’s funny? I mean, I am well aware that I can be quite humorous when I need to be.

LT: Our final fight, it actually lived up to my expectations.

Kid Q: (Chuckles as he understands the meaning behind his comment) So it did, so it did.

LT: Well, you ending this or should I.

Kid Q: I think it is only fitting that we both make the decision to end this thing. After all, we are the god’s in this fight.

LT: Well when you put it that way, I have a hard time disagreeing with you. Well I suppose this is goodbye then kid.

Kid Q: Suppose so. Any regrets?

LT: Maybe a couple, but I don’t regret the time I put in, too many good memories.

Kid Q: Yeah, the good memories always outweigh the bad in the end.

LT: You?

Kid Q: Naw, no regrets, but it definitely is time.

LT: No doubt about that. Well kid, I guess I’ll see you on the other side.

Kid Q: No doubt about that. On the count of three...

LT: One.

Kid Q: Two.


The two god-like beings disappear from the battle and the remaining combatants finally making their way onto the field of play, setting this final fight of the year officially into motion.

4 comments:

NFG Mike said...

Fascinating. I love the angle you took on this one.

Josh the Commish said...

Good work Nick. I will certainly miss your style next season.

NFG Mike said...

No. He just told you the beginning of the end is the beginning. He'll be back... someday...

Artifact said...

They should have wiped us all out. Tie!