Monday, September 8, 2014

Universe Bowl VII: Post 13

This report comes from one of the many brave souls we have out there in the field.




*the crackle of static sounds loudly in the reporters ear*
*a tiny female voice begins talking tentatively at first and then more and more firm and assured.*

Look, if anyone is out there please… please…  just listen… I don’t know how much juice this rig has left in it.  Heh, I was barely able to scrap it together in the first place with spare parts from my ship… which was mostly scrap and spare parts in the first place...

I guess when it comes right down to it I didn’t need the thruster relays or the emergency beacon… nobody is going to find me… I wouldn’t know where to tell them to look anyway…  

But it is vital to our universe, that this message get through to someone who can expose as many people to the truth as possible…  others must know about this so they can do something…  this can’t happen to anyone else… it…. it just can’t.

Deep breath kid… you knew this was how this could turn out… just do your job…  

Here goes...

*the reporter quickly scribbles down as much of the preamble as he listens to the voice begin her story. *

I come from a place we call Alak’sün’antera…  I overhear the monsters call it “the playoff planet” as if it is just some kind of amusement park….

My name….. it isn’t important, but my story is…  

Every year our home is ravaged, nearly decimated by the most insane groups of evil super powers my world has ever seen…  huge monsters as big as cities with seemingly unlimited powers even some smaller monsters wearing garish primary colors with red glowing eyes and matching red capes…  

No matter how they look we know that our entire home world is simply an anvil that they attempt to shatter each other upon year after year causing untold millions of my people to suffer and die… all of them except me...

And for what?!  “Pride”!?  “Honor”!?  I don’t see anything honorable about the way they behave and for certain nothing any decent being would be proud of!

*There is silence and the sound of angry breath being forced through two tiny nostrils as the speaker tries to regain control. *

*She begins again, in a whisper at first*
And now….  now they’ve awoken something deep within my world… something ancient and terrible…  this goes far beyond the stories we told to keep our children in their beds…  this is pure malevolence, and it’s fundamentally changed my home…   even the peaceful places feel haunted… no longer silent in the way such places are... that warm faint thrum of vitality in the air… it’s gone… replaced with a cloying lack of sound like a vitality sensor that has recently been switched off after the patient has simply stopped living.  The silence is seething with fury….

They thought this was their planet alone for years… the topsiders with their Mayor and their complicated governments... when the corruption began we felt it below first, where we live… they built massive ships to evacuate everyone… even the animals...  but somehow I doubt their opulence was enough to save them.  Our entire society scraped together just enough resources to build a single vessel… and in that vessel was room for a single pilot…  

That’s me….  heh… and that’s my mission… to save someone… even if I can’t save myself.

We hope to get the message out there that no world should ever be used like this; no planet should be treated like a sandbox for monsters…  These beings… they have virtually unlimited power, why do they not have the self esteem to know that this constant fighting is useless and they get nothing from it but death and the corruption of their very souls.  

Someone… anyone out there… find out who is responsible for this… and for my sake.. the sake of my people… for the sake of the universe… make them pay… the world they choose next may be your own… sold to monsters to bolster the egos of the madmen who think they own your planet…

*another silent pause descends on the transmission*

That’s…  that’s it I guess…  *the reporter hears the girl sniff, she’s obviously crying* I’ll… I’ve got enough food pills and life support to last for a while… heh… maybe someone will come by…  but I just hope someone got this… and I’ve done my job...so even if nobody comes for me… I’m ok with that….  I’m going to reduce power and set this transmission to loop for as long as it can.   Goodbye… and thank you for listening..  

*the reporter hears an audible click of the control panel of some unknown spacecraft… he wonders if he can triangulate the signal and find out where it came from… but he knows he has to get this story out to every major news contact he knows at the galactic information bureau…*

No comments: